Saturday 4 January 2014

Summary of week 1

There's nothing better than starting the year by writing about week #1. An interesting thing I noticed on the training calendar is that by counting weeks from monday to sunday, rather than by date, week 1 is right in between 2013 and 2014.

From Monday 30th December 2013 to Sunday 5th January 2014 I have been reducing the mileage a lot with respect to the previous crazy weeks. I really feel in tune with my body and I feel like I need some rest, before starting the second training block. 
There were no surprises when I checked my training schedule and found that the resting period I am referring to had been planned already a while ago. That's not just a coincidence. When I was ignoring the signs of my body and kept exercising according to the schedule, an injury always knocked at my door. Hence in the last few years I have been training according to my body. Keep the training schedule as a suggestion.




30/12/2013 

Coming from a week of intense training sessions, I decided to have a slow pace run with my girlfriend. It was a nice urban run from the Central station of Bruxelles to the Parc du Cinquantenaire, where I am used to run every time I am in the city. Even though it was quite slow for me, it helped a lot with recovery and sore calfs from climbing the Ardennes. 




31/12/2013
The 31st of december could have had just one meaning to me: 31 km. I started from the Central station of Bruxelles and headed to Boit de la Cambre. After 9 km a guy was giving me horn blasts from the back. He was Gianluca, heading to the forest too, to run his usual 20km. A nice chance to get some mileage with my running mates. Bernard was there too. We had so much fun in the forest, hills again for a total of 750 mt. They ran for 16 km and 21 km respectively. I completed my 31 km and went back home. Goodbye 2013!


01/01/2014
I gave my big welcome to 2014 with a fast run by the sea between Duinbergen and Knokke. Caroline was right next to me by bike. I couldn't run slower than 3'53" per km, completing 10 km in 38'49"
Not bad for a "regular" 1st January.




02/01/2014
With no surprise, I felt quite stiff here. My training schedule suggested to take some clothes and go to the gym. The first wise suggestion of the year. Some cycling and some mobility exercises made my day. 


The body has no calendar. But it has needs to fulfil. Resting is one such need.
My biomechanical vacation start here.

Run happy!





03/01/2014
Resting

04/01/2014
Resting

05/01/2014
Resting

No comments:

Post a Comment