Sunday 9 March 2014

Dried fruit, yet another misunderstanding


Have you ever been walking around after a workout, chilling in the city and suddenly got the feeling of eating a cow? (allow me the expression, I shouldn't say this as a vegetarian)
So far, the best advice I could give to myself was "eat fruit!". This would usually give me two solid hours before dinner.
Years and years of eating fruit in such situations made this habit quite boring, forcing me to switch to something a bit different than fruit: dried fruit.

Here in Spain, as in other mediterranean countries, dried fruit is usually sold together with fresh fruit. What I personally consider an advantage of dried fruit is that it's cheap, compact and easy to carry, especially whenever I am visiting the city and I am really not in the mood of carrying a bag of two kilos of fruit for me and Caroline.

Turns out that dried fruit is yet another misunderstanding in my apparently-limited-knowledge about nutrition. One benefit of living with someone who studies nutrition for sport consists in realising that eating dried fruit is wrong!!

I honestly got fooled by fruit in "dried fruit", a label that can easily fool many, I am sure.
Dried fruit contains a lot of bad things that make it worse than regular fruit, such as much more sugar and chemicals that keep it coloured and beautiful (I am personally attracted by this feature). As a consequence, it gives many more calories still being less nutritious.

Therefore no more dried fruit! Not for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment