Sunday 29 December 2013

Summary of week 52

23/12/2013
Coming from a week with some interval training sessions, I decided to keep week 52 for some long distance running. Except for monday, in which I've been running quite shortly and I have been doing some mobility exercises, the rest of the week has been quite crazy. Only 10km today.

24/12/2013
After the usual wake up at 5:50am, it was not the heavy rain in Leuven to discourage me from running 20 km around the canal. Due to some interesting plans in my racing schedule - of which I will be writing in some future post - I started running with my running backpack, equipped with gels and some other snacks I am not considering to use during these first running sessions. The purpose is just to get familiar with such a gadget ;)
Anyway, 20 km at an easy pace of 4':30" per km is not bad at all, considering the impressive wind I have been running against.

25/12/2013
"How can you run on christmas??" that's what some of my friends were asking. Actually, how can you *not* run on christmas? I would have replied. Things are going a bit differently this year. Spending xmas day in a soft and scented bedding with your girl is probably one of those very few things that can make running in winter wait. Just for one day.

26/12/2013
Back on the road for what should have been a 15 km running session, which became 17 km.
Running in Bruxelles city is not bad, if you know where to go. I usually head to the Parc du Cinquantenaire and start looping around.
I forgot to take some coins with me and I had to run to the bakery to buy some breakfast right after workout. Hence the two extra kilometres. The slope of the line that indicates the overall speed is clearly positive, meaning that I was running progressively faster. Average pace 4':20" per km.

27/12/2013
Here we go with the crazy part of the week. Gianluca had a wish: running together in the forest of Sart Tilman in Liege, before the new year. The course I am talking about is quite steep, sometimes crazy steep, some other times just insane. We kept the insane part out of the equation and enjoyed a run of 500 metres of elevation on a total distance of 17 km. Wish satisfied :)

28/12/2013
We planned to spend the weekend in complete relax in the Ardennes, southern Belgium. That's probably the best location for trail running or road running with quite some elevation. Long story short, we ran from Ocquier to Durbuy, went up to the Belvedere and came back home. My hands were freezing. My legs were enjoying the 700 meters elevation course. Total distance 22 km. Still calling it relax?

29/12/2013
Whenever I am in Bruxelles and that's a sunday, I know where I should be running. La Cambre in Bruxelles is a location that my running team keeps booking every sunday since 5 years, for the usual 20 km in the forest. Amazing track, amazing people. Slow pace running with some hills to run at 90% max on distances that can vary from 300 mt to 700 mt. Quite a thing.


Total mileage this week 105 km.
Happy new year.

2 comments:

  1. Grandeee Gipsy Runner, I liked your latest post on your blog.

    I'm pleased to have run these 3 days with an experienced and passionated runner... You inspire me, You motivate me, You make me stronger.

    Everything becomes funny with you when we run together. I liked to see you so light zigzagging between trees, jump over holes and dance on the stones.... it's awesome and so beautiful

    It's not easy to keep the rythm with you but I forget all my physical suffering because we have fun in 'gipsy' running.

    Happy new year
    Gianluca

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I inspire, I get inspired.
    When I motivate, I get motivated.
    Running together was a great epilogue of 2013!
    Thanks my friend.

    :)

    ReplyDelete